Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shake Rattle and Roll

We have been having earthquakes left and right this week. The first one happened Sunday night while my boyfriend and I were getting ready to go to bed, suddenly the house began to shake and since we live in a pretty bad neighborhood, I thought it was just a helicopter flying in circles above are place. Then the house began to shake rigorously and we realized it was an earthquake, immediately my bf the hero rushed are 3 dogs and I out the door and to the back yard. When we came back into the room the cable box, a picture frame and my alarm clock had fallen and a few things on the wall were all crooked but no damage. About 10 minutes later there was a small after shock, I find earthquakes exciting so I was more thrilled then worried. This earthquake was a 4.7 magnitude.
Today while typing away at my blog at work (shhhhh don't tell anyone) are building which is two stories began to shake just a bit, not enough to make anything fall though. This quake was fairly less aggressive as the quake on Sunday but a still enough to give are building a good shake, it was a magnitude 4.

The earthquakes we have been feeling in southern California are nothing like the earthquake in San Fransisco April 18 1906 but I thought I would share these amazing after math photos.


6 comments:

  1. Are the buildings like lopsided in the second pic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the two house on the left are tilting badly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes to you. The photos were pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earthquakes can be scary things. I live on a faultline and 'the big one' is expected any year now. We are always told NEVER to go outside during an earthquake, that you are much safer sheltering under a heavy piece of furniture or in a door frame. I think one of the reasons being that big fissure in the ground you have pictured, but also flying glass and debris from surrounding houses. It might be worth checking out your local civil defence guidlines for the future! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah in california we have been expecting a big one for awhile. I had no clue you were safer inside I will def tell my bf and keep that in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails